Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Excellence is a habit

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ~Aristotle

I found this quote to be stirring. It is a pure and simple truth. It matters not how very badly we want to behave a certain way. It does not become who we are until we behave a certain way with some consistency.

Wow.

Talk about your lightbulb-flipping on kind of moment!

Consistency is something I've spoken on quite a bit in my discussions with others about the success (or not) of a 24/7 D/s dynamic. So often I have seen and experienced D/s relationships landng themselves straight in the gutter due to little more than lack of consistency.

Why does this happen?

How does this happen?

I think, that for many it happens because we set unrealistic expectations for ourselves or our Dominants (or submissives). With Syr, we focus on crafting our D/s and how we relate to each other as Syr and little girl, as Owner and owned, around what is best for us both.

There are hurdles, to be sure. When aren't there?

There are times when I get little unexpectedly now (something that never used to occur for me before). I mean, I could be going about my regular day and 'boom' I have plumetted into sub-space and when I get little unexpectedly like that, I have found that I often need extra attention from Her.

It's a learning process and my 'experience' in the lifestyle before Syr is seemingly meaningless because this is a dynamic unlike anything I've ever known. Our power exchange is present in everything we do, though sometimes not obviously so and that definitely has it's benefits, and it's challenges!

But the truth in this quote strikes a chord deep within me.

If every night before sleep, I whisper to Her: "I love You, Syr. Goodnight, Syr.", it will become habit. If every time I wake, I ask Her permission before climbing out of bed, it will become habit.

Some of the acts of service, of slavery that I have found most impressive, that I have felt the most intimidated by exist because the submissives or slaves I am admiring have worked to build submissive or service-oriented habits.

They are such breathtakingly lovely slaves because they have taken the time to build these habits, these rituals, these trademarks of their service.

They inspire me.

They awe me.

But, most of all, they remind me.

They remind me that consistency is not just Syr's job, it's mine too. And I happen to find it to be one of my biggest challenges.

But that's what growth is really all about, now isn't it?

No comments: