Thursday, November 20, 2008

1950's Household

From my Owner:
Recently we discussed the idea of a 50's household. Do we have a degree of that in our home? To what extent has the functional day to day realities of our home helped or hindered that energy (if it really exists in our home at all)?

To a certain degree, I believe that a lot of that 1950's style stereotypical relationship dynamic defines a great deal of our less 'obvious' D/s. My Owner is also my spouse and in our family, in spite of who does or doesn't know about our more formal dynamic - it is definitely clear that She has a measure of authority and that I defer to Her.

When we first began sharing a home together, there was a measured period of time in which I couldn't work. I can't describe how much I truly loved that period of time. I got to truly be a stay at home wife and slave and it was marvelous. I adored having daily chores, writing assignments and responsibilities in keeping the house organized, neat, and being responsible for the errands and the shopping. I loved greeting my Owner at the door when She came home each evening and serving her dinner.

While I do work outside the home now, as does She, I still find myself really getting a special thrill out of planning a meal, cooking it and setting Her plate in front of Her, having given special care to plate it prettily.

I don't really think that our day to day realities help or hinder this energy in any significant way. In a perfect world, I'd be able to fully embrace the role by being a stay at home wife/slave while my Owner worked during the day. But that isn't our reality and so the energy is there regardless of whether we are both working or not.

Recently, I stumbled upon The Good Wife's Guide and while I suppose to many it's pretty offensive - to me it's actually quite stimulating!

Similarly, some time ago, a friend pointed me in the general direction of Taken In Hand. And for a quick summary of what that site is about, simply click here to read the 'in a nutshell' summary.

Now, mind you, there are a lot of things on that site I don't agree with, such as the gender binary, and the "marriage is between one man and one woman" because - um hello - I'm queer and my Owner is not a Man! ;)

But a lot of the energy and dynamics within it remind me of the stimulating side of a 1950's style relationship from the perspective of the Male is the Dominant/Authority and the woman is to be submissive/respectful/nurturing, etc and defer to her Husband.

The reality between Syr and I is that She has masculine energy and I - feminine. It is that very balance, that yin yang, that is so important to us in every way. It is that give and take, active and passive polarity that defines our marriage, our friendship, our D/s, and every other aspect of our relationship.

Oh.. and on a closing note - I just read Dr. Spencer's Spanking Plan (circa 1928) - and it made me almost instantly drenched (the only damper being the rule about no whipping or flogging.. puh-lease). Does this mean I am not gonna be accepted into the feminist club?

Oh darn.

1 comment:

L. said...

I've read a good portion of your blog and I really enjoy reading about the dynamic that you share with your Owner. Your writing is great!

I also enjoyed the Good Wife's Guide :)