Saturday, August 01, 2015

On listening

So one of my assigned rotating writing topics is listening.

Thinking about how listening impacted our day today, I am aware of a few examples of consciously choosing to listen....

Earlier today, I asked Syr if, as a celebration of our upcoming anniversary, I could use the change in my piggy bank to buy a Wii.

Context: I wanted a replacement Wii since we'd lost our original one to the man-kids when they moved out (though it was kinda broken, and they've now upgraded to a WiiU). ANYWAY, I was asking if I could use this change money on a Wii (guessing we had almost enough if not enough).

Syr said yes, and we took the piggybank to the change machine at the bank and cashed it in and it came to almost exactly $100.

That was exciting! We knew we could get a brand new Wii Mini at Best Buy for $99 but then there would be taxes and extra controllers and... well it adds up. Then I found out that it doesn't have internet access OR a memory card slot and I was all like.. uhh..... so I checked Craigslist and found a used Red & Black Wii bundle someone was ditching for $100 - and it came with two controllers, an induction charging pad and a game!

So I tried to ask Syr without beating around the bush if we could go get it today.... and here's where I finally get to the point...

Syr said yes. But She showed some signs of ... hesitation? annoyance? I'm not sure.

Now, in the past, Syr has told me that I need to accept the answer I'm given EVEN IF She doesn't seem happy about it, seems annoyed or whatever. But that's hard for me, because if Syr seems unhappy I want to backtrack and retract the question... but that causes its own set of problems and sometimes makes Syr feel like She can't have an emotion or a 'moment' without me turning it into a federal case.

So, this time, I took Her answer at face value and before I know it, we were on the road to pick up the Wii and Syr seemed totally fine with it. When we got it home and set it up, Syr actually seemed a little bit excited. ;) So whatever the moment was that Syr had obviously wasn't that big of a deal - or She would have said so.

So that long-winded thing was one example. LOL

Another example?

When Syr was navigating to and from the pickup place for the Wii.....  often I question Syr's navigation instructions when I'm driving (yeah I'm THAT driver) and then Syr gets annoyed. I took all Her instructions in stride even when they didn't seem to make sense and wouldn't you know - we got to our destination and home without any fuss. heh.

Listening. SO simple, right?

No comments: